2012年11月25日星期日

After a minute or two I asked from the floor whether I was the first man privileged to worship him

After a minute or two I asked from the floor whether I was the first man privileged to worship him. He said that I was and I burst out into gratitude. He was thoughtfully prodding me with the point of his sword in the back of my neck. I thought I was done for.
He said: "I admit I am still in mortal disguise, so it is not remarkable that you did not notice my Divinity at once."
"I don't know how I could have been so blind. Your face shines in this dim light like a lamp."
"Does it,Moncler outlet online store?" he asked with interest. "Get up and give me that mirror." I handed him a polished steel mirror and he agreed that it shone very brightly. In this fit of good humour he began to tell me a good deal about himself.
"I always knew that it would happen," he said. *T never felt anything but Divine. Think of it. At two years old I put down a mutiny of my father's army and so saved Rome. That was prodigious, like the stories told about the God Mercury when a child, or about Hercules who strangled the snakes in his cradle."
"And Mercury only stole a few oxen," I said, "and twanged a note or two on the lyre. That was nothing by comparison."
"And what's more, by the age of eight I had killed, my father. Jove himself never did that. He merely banished the old fellow."
I took this as raving on the same level, but I asked in a matter-of-fact voice, "Why did you do that?"'
"He stood in my way. He tried to discipline me-me, a young God, imagine it,replica gucci handbags. So I frightened him to death. I smuggled dead things into our house at Antioch and hid them under loose tiles; and I scrawled charms, on the walls; and I got a cock in my bedroom to give him his marching orders. And I robbed him of his Hecate. Look, here she is! I always keep her under my pillow*" He held up the green jasper charm. My heart went as cold as ice when I recognized it. I said in a horrified voice: "You were the one then,replica louis vuitton handbags? And it was you who climbed into the bolted room by that tiny window and drew your devices there too?"
He nodded proudly and went rattling on: "Not only did I kill my natural father but I killed my father by adoption too-Tiberius, you know. And whereas Jupiter only lay with one sister of his, Juno, I have lain with all three of mine. Martina told me it was the right thing to do if I wanted to be like Jove."
"You knew Martina well then?"
"Indeed I did. When my parents were in Egypt I used to visit her every night. She was a very wise woman, I'll tell you another thing, Drusilla's Divine too. I'm going to announce it at the same time as I make the announcement about myself. How I love Drusilla! Almost as much as she loves me."
"May I ask what are your sacred intentions? This metamorphosis will surely affect Rome profoundly."
"Certainly. First, I'm going to put the whole world in awe of me. I won't allow myself to be governed by a lot of fussy old men any longer. I'm going to show… but you remember your old grandmother, Livia? That was a joke. Somehow she had got the notion that it was she who was to be the everlasting God about whom everyone has been prophesying in the East for the last thousand years. I think it was Thrasyllus who tricked her into believing that she was meant. Thrasyllus never told lies but he loved misleading people. You see, Livia didn't know the precise terms of the prophecy. The God is to be a man not a woman, and not born in Rome, though he is to reign at Rome (I was born at Antium), and born at a time of profound peace (as I was), but destined to be the cause of innumerable wars after his death. He is to die young and to be at first loved by his people and then hated, and finally to die miserably, forsaken of all. "His servants shall drink his blood." Then after his death he is to rule over all the other Gods of the world, in lands not yet known to us. That can only be myself. Maitina told me that many prodigies had been seen lately in the near East which proved conclusively that the God had been born at last. The Jews were the most excited. They somehow felt themselves peculiarly concerned. I suppose that this was because I once visited their city Jerusalem with my father and gave my first divine manifestation there." He paused,fake montblanc pens.

没有评论:

发表评论